Edited by Jane Silcott and Fiona Tinwei Lam (Caitlin Press, 2018)
What keeps us together? What breaks us apart? In Love Me True, 26 creative nonfiction writers and 20 poets explore how marriage and committed relationships have challenged, shaped, supported and changed them. The stories and poems in this collection delve deep into the mysteries of long-term bonds. The authors cover a gamut of issues and ideas–everything from everyday conflicts to deep philosophical divides, as well as jealousy, adultery, physical or mental illness, and loss. There’s happiness here too, along with love and companionship, whether the long-term partnering is monogamous, polyamorous, same-sex or otherwise. From surprise proposals, stolen quickies, and snoring to arranged marriage, affairs, suicide, and much more, the wide-ranging personal stories and poems in Love Me True are sometimes funny, sometimes harrowing, and always engaging as they offer their intimate and varied insights into the complex state that is marriage.
Editors Jane Silcott and Fiona Tinwei Lam have assembled work from notable authors across Canada, both well-known and up-and-coming, including Luanne Armstrong, Joanne Arnott, Jagtar Kaur Atwal, Donna Besel, Ronna Bloom, Lesley Buxton, Mandy Len Catron, Kevin Chong, Lorna Crozier, Michael Crummey, Eufemia Fantetti, Jane Eaton Hamilton, Maureen Scott Harris, Maureen Hynes, Michelle Kaeser, Chelene Knight, Evelyn Lau, Ellen McGinn, Lauren McKeon, Monica Meneghetti, Jane Munro, Susan Musgrave, Lorri Neilsen Glenn, Juliane Okot Bitek, Susan Olding, Elise Partridge, Miranda Pearson, Toni Pieroni, Tana Runyan, Rachel Rose, Andreas Schroeder, Karen Shklanka, Anne Simpson, Kara Stanley, Chris Tarry, Rob Taylor, Yasuko Thanh, Russell Thornton, Ayelet Tsabari, Betsy Warland, Bronwen Wallace, Gina Leola Woolsey, Samra Zafar, and others.
- CKNW Interview with editors Jane and Fiona on Feb 11/18
- LMT Excerpt of Jagtar Kaur Atwal’s piece, “Finding a Way Out” published in The Tyee Feb 14/18
- LMT Excerpt of Lesley Buxton’s piece “Are You Still Married” published on 49th Shelf Blog Feb 12/18
- Quill & Quire Interview with editors Jane and Fiona on Feb 14/18
- CBC North by Northwest Interview with contributor Mandy Len Catron (“On Anniversaries”) and Fiona on Feb 11/18 (at 1:51:25 mark)
- Vancouver Co-op Radio Wax Poetic interview of Fiona and Jane with Pamela Bentley and RC Weslowski on March 14/18