(2021, 3:03 minutes) Can be viewed here.
Co-directed by Mary Mcdonald & Fiona Tinwei Lam.
Cinematography, photography, sound design, video & animation by Mary McDonald.
Poem written and narrated by Fiona Tinwei Lam. Photos by Jens Wieting and Kat Zimmer of the Sierra Club (clearcuts), Fiona Tinwei Lam (Vancouver telephone poles.). All other photos by Mary McDonald.
An ode to—and a lament about—the overlooked “utility” poles that once were trees in an intricate “wood-wide web” of communication and interrelationships in a forest, but that now line our streets and countrysides.
Published online in Moving Poems weekly digest (March/22), Poetry Film Live Magazine (March/22), and UBC Magazine (Oct/22).
- Nature & Culture Poetry Film Festival (Copenhagen, 2021)
- REELpoetry (Houston, 2022) Honourable Mention
- Poetry Film Festival (Venice, California, April 30, 2021)
- Threads: Cultural Conversations (Saskatoon Open Door Society, Saskatchewan, Online, January 25-26, 2023)
- International Migration and Environmental Film Festival IMEFF (Online Toronto, Ontario, March 23-26/23)